Is Moldy Food Dangerous for Health?

Moldy food can be harmful due to mycotoxins and microbial infection. Here are five mouldy food dangers:

1. Toxicity

Ingesting mould mycotoxins can harm health. The type of mould and amount of mycotoxins present can cause minor stomach discomfort to organ damage and neurological disorders.

2. Allergic Reactions

Mold spores can cause allergies in sensitive people. Sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, skin rashes, and asthma attacks may occur. Mould allergen exposure might aggravate allergy symptoms over time.

3. Respiratory Issues

Inhaling mould spores, especially from extensively contaminated food, can cause coughing, wheezing, throat irritation, and difficulty breathing. Asthmatics and COPD patients are more at risk.

4. Infections

Food mold can harbour hazardous germs and viruses, raising foodborne illness risk. Depending on the bacteria, contaminated food might cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever, and abdominal pain.

5. Neurological Effects

Aflatoxin, produced by moulds like Aspergillus species, can cause neurological issues. Chronic toxin exposure may cause cognitive deficits, tremors, seizures, and other neurological diseases.

Also See

5 Best Remedies for the Stomach Flu